Current:Home > MarketsFather of July 4th parade shooting suspect pleads guilty to misdemeanors linked to gun license -Capitatum
Father of July 4th parade shooting suspect pleads guilty to misdemeanors linked to gun license
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 08:56:49
WAUKEGAN, Ill. (AP) — The father of a man charged in a deadly Fourth of July parade shooting in suburban Chicago pleaded guilty to seven misdemeanors Monday in a case that centered on how his son obtained a gun license.
Robert Crimo Jr. entered the plea in court in Waukegan Monday morning. He had been charged with seven counts of reckless conduct — one for each person his son, Robert Crimo III, is accused of killing in Highland Park on Independence Day last year.
In 2019, at the age of 19, Crimo III was too young to apply for his own gun license, but he could apply with the sponsorship of a parent or guardian. His father sponsored his application, even though just months earlier a relative reported to police that Crimo III had a collection of knives and had threatened to “kill everyone.”
Crimo Jr. was arrested in December 2022, and pleaded not guilty this year to seven counts of reckless conduct. He waived his right to a jury trial, meaning Judge George Strickland will hear evidence and issue a verdict.
Defense attorney George Gomez has called the charges against Crimo Jr. “baseless and unprecedented.”
Anti-gun violence advocates say they are encouraged that police and prosecutors are investigating anyone who may have contributed to the attack, but legal experts say criminal liability can be hard to prove against a shooter’s parent or guardian. More often, they face civil lawsuits where legal standards of proof are less stringent.
But there are exceptions. In Michigan, a prosecutor charged the parents of a then-15-year-old boy with involuntary manslaughter in December 2021 after their son was charged in the fatal shooting of four students at his high school. They face trial Jan. 23. Their son pleaded guilty to murder and terrorism charges and is scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 8.
Strickland has said he will allow Crimo III’s statement to police after his arrest as evidence, and both sides are expected to cite the transcript at Crimo Jr.'s trial. Video of the interrogation — which the judge has viewed — will not be shown, to protect the suspected gunman’s right to a fair trial.
Crimo III will neither attend nor testify at his father’s trial to avoid incriminating himself, his lawyer, Gregory Ticsay, has said.
The son faces 21 first-degree murder counts, 48 counts of attempted murder and 48 counts of aggravated battery. Potential evidence — prosecutors say Crimo III admitted he was the gunman when he was arrested hours after the shooting — is voluminous. No trial date has been set in his case.
Attorneys said they expect the trial to last about four days. It was unclear how quickly the judge will rule.
___
Savage is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Sexism almost sidelined Black women at 1963 March on Washington. How they fought back.
- Racing to save a New Jersey house where a Revolutionary War patriot was murdered
- New Jersey to require free period products in schools for grades 6 through 12
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Hurricanes and tropical storms are damaging homes. Here's how to deal with your insurance company.
- Dick's Sporting Goods stock plummets after earnings miss blamed on retail theft
- Kylie Jenner's Itty-Bitty Corset Dress Is Her Riskiest Look Yet
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Flash flooding at Grand Canyon's South Rim leads to evacuations, major traffic jam: It was amazing
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Aaron Rodgers set to make Jets debut: How to watch preseason game vs. Giants
- Beyoncé's Birthday Wish Will Have Fans Upgrading Their Renaissance Tour Outfits
- Mom gets life for stabbing newborn and throwing the baby in a river in 1992. DNA cracked the case
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Michigan resident wins $8.75 million from state's lottery
- These 12 Sites With Fast Shipping Are Perfect for Last-Minute Shopping
- Why a stranger's hello can do more than just brighten your day
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Officials say a jet crash in Russia kills 10, Wagner chief Prigozhin was on passenger list
Gwyneth Paltrow’s 'Shallow Hal' body double struggled with disordered eating: 'I hated my body'
Betty Tyson dies at 75, spent 25 years in New York prison before murder conviction was overturned
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Elon Musk spars with actor James Woods over X's blocking feature
FIBA World Cup starts Friday: How to watch, what to know
'Blue Beetle' is a true-blue surprise